Requested Tutorial Of Retro Card Class Card Box

I've had some requests to post a tutorial on how I made this card box from a past post (here).


I have made quite a few of these little card boxes over the past three and a half years, like these ones. You'll have to forgive the photo though, as I was only starting out with taking photos for our blog back then.


This box can be adapted to fit a single well embellished card in place of an envelope, or to hold more than one card. It can also be adapted to fit your card size whether its A2s or A7s. The first photo is sized for A2s, 1" thick to hold four well layered cards with bows. The older photo, shows card boxes for A7 cards to fill up with purchased cards so they are only 1/2" thick.
Once you've made a couple of these, logic will enable you to figure out how to make any size changes.

Let's get on with the tutorial, shall we. The measurements in this tutorial are for those of the Retro card class in the first photo - 1" thick for A2 cards. 

First cut a piece of cardstock to 8 3/4" x 12 " and place vertically on your score pad.


FYI - The lines drawn from here on are for visual benefit of this tutorial, you do not draw the lines onto your cardstock.





Just a note here. You may notice that the tutorial version of the box is thicker than the photo below. That's because I made this box before the cards and it was just a little on the thin side (3/4" thick), so in class I adjusted the measurements to 1" to allow a little extra space.

In this next photo you can see where to place the ribbon before adding the designer paper, and in what direction it should go. Also you can see the box medallion is added last on the top flap where the ribbon comes out. Or, if you choose, the ribbon can be slid off as in the group box photo from a few years ago.


Hope this is of help to those of you that requested how to make this box. I've also been asked to show how I made the double box I posted yesterday. I will do that for you as soon as that class has been taught. It is a little more complicated and of course uses more cardstock than this one.

Thank you for the requests, and I hope this is of help to you. If you should need further assistance, email me and do what I can to help. It was so nice of you to stop by today, and let me know in the comments if you feel this tutorial has what you need and is of help to you or if I could do something to improve upon it.

Happy crafting everyone!


4 comments:

sallysbitz2 said...

Stunning boxes. Love the style. Thanks for a great tutorial x

hugs sally x
sallysbitz.blogspot.co.uk

Tigriswillreign said...

I've wanted you to make a tutorial on this for years! This is awesome!

Sabrina said...

Yeah...a request from you should have been enough for me to make the tutorial back then, but I guess it took a few more requests before I actually made it.
I'm glad I finally did it too. Thanks Dana!

Unknown said...

Thank you SOOOOO much for this tutorial! Love the card box! ;o)