Celebrate Duo

Sorry for the dark pictures! Remember that you can zoom in by clicking on them.

These cards were inspired by at least 3 different people!

It started out with Lisa Johnson's Sweet Blush and Soft Stone combos here and here. I pulled out my Soft Stone and 2 soft colors to go with it: the Sweet Blush and some Lemon Tart.

The embossed portion along with embellishments was inspired by Mariana Grigsby here.

My first step ended up disappointing me. PTI cardstock is rather thick and didn't take well to being embossed. The page ended up a little ragged and I debated about scrapping the whole idea. My mom tried to convince me to keep the pieces but I told her that if I didn't use them now, I'd never use them. So to appease the both of us, I reworked the concept in my head a bit. Why not distress?

So I took my Tim Holtz paper distresser and roughened the edges of each card piece so they looked ragged on purpose. I then used my Tim Holtz Distress Inks in Victorian Velvet (on the Sweet Blush) and Scattered Straw (on the Lemon Tart) to "muddy" the colors, as it were.

I was much happier.

The pearls and rhinestones are various sizes to add a little pizzazz.


The last bit of inspiration came from Nichole Heady (of course!) here. The ribbon is absolute genius! I'm not much with a sewing machine, but after a few tries, and some intervention from my mother!, I finally got this done. I would even do it again!

I was going to make these into baby cards but "Celebrate" is a more universally-friendly sentiment. These cards can be used for birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, Mother's Day, you name it. The interiors are blank.

Oh! One more bit of inspiration (that makes 4!)... I've been noticing that cards have been scored along the top of tall cards lately (for example here) and I love it! This was my first try at it.

{Supplies--all Papertrey Ink unless otherwise noted}
  • Cardstock: Soft Stone, Sweet Blush, Lemon Tart
  • Patterned Paper (envelope liners): Pretty Pastels and Egg Hunt
  • Stamps: Damask Designs
  • Ink: Berry Sorbet, Simply Chartreuse, Tim Holtz Distress Inks in Victorian Velvet and Scattered Straw
  • Ribbon: Berry Sorbet Twill and Simply Chartreuse Twill
  • Other tools: Sizzix Hello Friend embossing folder, adhesive pearls (dollar store), adhesive rhinestones (dollar store), Spellbinders Nested Butterflies, A2 envelope liner die

2 comments:

farmhouse-story said...

your scoring looks wonderful, dana! love that you mixed ideas from different people:)

Tigriswillreign said...

Just to clarify, this was an embossing folder (Sizzix) rather than manual scoring. :)